Hi Mark,

"I just got a brand new computer with WindowsXP.  I want
to install FreeDOS on that computer but I don't
want to change my WindowsXP installation."

I've never really understood this.

1. Nearly anything you'd ever want to do in FreeDOS can be done without going anywhere near a hard drive or it's o/s. It's very easy to create a bootable FreeDOS CD or bootable FreeDOS data stick and just run your programs from there.

2. Anyone who is interested in FreeDOS would insist on re-building any PC that ever landed on their desk. The first thing I do to an XP machine is run FreeDOS FDISK with the /clearall option. You don't want the disease of XP anywhere near your lovely new PC. Even if you do want XP, you can simply create a bootable partition formatted as FAT to "install" FreeDOS and then put Windoze on the next partition and so on. Anyone who runs a PC with only one partition is a fool, but unfortunately Microsoft recommend this exact strategy to the OEMs and guess what ... the OEMs do what they're told!

Another option for anyone serious about FreeDOS is simply add a second hard drive; it's cheap, and it's a lot easier and much safer in terms of disaster recovery and you can also use it for swap file etc.

However, FreeDOS could soon be a relic that's only of interest to niche market of people who want to run ancient programs on old hardware. The problem is that if you can't connect to popular modern networks your chosen o/s becomes of little use.

At the time of writing (Feb 2006) FreeDOS kicks-ass on modern hardware, even big servers with dual xeons, SCSI RAID and 4Gb of memory (as long as you don't use EMM386).

However, two recent changes to Windows networks have relegated FreeDOS to the recycle bin:

1. LM authentication is no longer enabled once a corporation moves to Windows Server 2003. No IT manager or corporate Admin would ever agree to turn it on either, as it's a serious security risk. FreeDOS does not have a network client that can authenticate against Kerberos.

2. SMB signing is now the default on Windows networks and FreeDOS can't sign SMB packets.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)