Hi Mark,

just run your programs from there.

Actually, unfortunately not for the ham radio applications I use at
least.  I need to be able to write to the hard disk while maintaining
real-time performance for sending morse code, so...The USB sticks are
too slow

As you say, this sounds like a good reason to use a hard disk, although I'm somewhat confused as to why it can't use the memory and disk caching to achieve it's goal? If it's writing Morse code to the hard disk at the rate you say, you must be transmitting whole bibles or something? Bear in mind the data sticks of today are MUCH faster than the hard drives DOS was designed to work with.

This procedure takes ten minutes.  Re-installing Windows XP, installing
all of the applications I have on this machine, and reconfiguring
everything would take days...not just hours.

Yes, well obviously I'm talking about doing it BEFORE you have installed any applications!

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)