Hi Johnson:

I was thinking a bit more about automating this.  We
MIGHT be able to grab some stuff from a Linux installer
to automatically, under carefully defined conditions,
shrink the NTFS partition and create a new fat32
partition.  AFAIK, it can't be done under DOS at all.
Partition Magic just doesn't reliably work on NTFS
partitions as of 8.02 and XP Service Pack 2 (or
possibly, SP 1).  And, Partition Magic is expensive
and has a restrictive license (use on one computer,
blah, blah, blah...).

Many of the Linux installers don't automate this,
since computer setups vary so widely and so do the
user requirements. And, the operations are quite
dangerous.  The last one I tried to use that
automated this was dangerous and could destroy
a disk if the user selected the wrong, cryptic,
setup option.

And, the FreeDOS "SYS:" command needs to be done
under FreeDOS. We could, I suppose, create a
multi-boot CD.

Obviously, writing a batch file to automate the
FreeDOS installation to a specific partition
would be almost trivial, starting with ODIN.
Creating an easy-to-use, up-to-date, ODIN
floppy image that installs FreeDOS to a
specified disk partition would be useful...I'd
use it! :-)

Judging from the response to Version 1.0, though,
only one FreeDOS user was even interested in dual
booting a new machine.  It appears everyone else
has already figured out how to meet their
requirements.  Most of the folks I know use
old, dedicated machines to run DOS.

So, it is really worth trying to modify a Linux
installer to automatically re-partition the disk
correctly?

BTW, I've found a couple of people interested in
doing this with MS-DOS, so they'll help iron out
the disk partitioning description and installation
of MS-DOS, anyway.

Mark