On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 21:00 +0100, Mateusz Viste wrote:
> On Friday 15 February 2008, robinson-west user wrote:
> > I could get it to work under vmware with wget believe it or not,
> > but I haven't gotten it to work on real hardware even with curl.
>
> Do your "real hardware" can run anything more than the bare FreeDOS kernel? I
> mean games, and more "advanced" software (DPMI / protected mode, etc...).
> Maybe the problem is outside FDUPDATE / wget / curl... Bad memory, incorrect
> EMM386 settings, etc...
> Do you tried using the "tested" wget binary?
> (http://mateusz.viste.free.fr/fdupdate/wgetx.zip)

Why wouldn't the copy of wget packaged with freedos 1.0 work?  It does
on the emulated installation of freedos that I got fdupdate to work
with.  Yes my real hardware can run more than the bare freedos kernel.
I've played ultima underworld and shadowcaster no problem on this
machine.  I'm not using EMM386, I'm using Jemm5.70 on the 486.  The
fact that fdupdate doesn't want to work on my 486, but other programs
which use extended memory do, is quite odd.

> No, FDUDPATE doesn't keep track of installed / updated software. That's the
> job for the application's LSM file. If the application have a LSM with an
> incorrect "version" record, FDUPDATE will be fooled.
> What problem do you exactly encounter with versionning?

Well, on the emulated system where fdupdate works it didn't realize
what it had updated the second time I ran it.

> What do you mean by "with flying colors"? If you have a bad mem, wget, curl,
> fdupdate, and any other DPMI application may have big problems, as it is
> using memory > 1 MB...

Unless the memory bank itself is damaged somehow, this doesn't appear to
be a memory problem.  Memtest has been run multiple times and every time
the memory has come up good.

I wonder what the difference is between a vmware environment and real
hardware?  If I could figure that out, I might determine why my 486
crashes.

     Michael C. Robinson