Hi!

> Yes I have an IDE drive and a usb cdrom.
> My BIOS is able to boot USB.

Good...

> I guess what I'm looking for is a usb image of
> FreeDos. then I can make the IDE disk the active
> partition and install XP.

There is no USB image because USB sticks all
have different sizes. But there are several
howtos specifically for making USB sticks
boot FreeDOS, just google for them :-). The
FAQ also has a bit of information, I guess:

www.google.com/search?q=site%3Afd-doc.sourceforge.net+usb+boot

On the other hand, why do you need DOS if you
only want to install XP? You can use any OS to
make the partition active, but in the end, you
probably have to boot the XP installer to make
the harddisk boot XP... You can also connect
the harddisk to another PC which does have a
CD/DVD drive and install XP there. Okay, XP is
probably more upset than, say, Linux, when you
later move the harddisk to the original PC and
it finds your hardware changed a lot ;-).

> So do you know of an install image of FreeDos
> for a usb drive?

No, but you can use:

- makebootfat (for Linux and others, it can
  reformat the whole stick, "exact" result?)

- syslinux (just copy the files and use
  syslinux to make things bootable...)

- syslinux with memdisk (can make a diskette
  image boot, use for example Rugxulo's disk)

- sys-freedos-linux (basically "SYS" for DOS
  running in Linux, copy the rest manually)

- "that tool from HP" (seems to work quite
  well in Windows, explicit FreeDOS support)

The Rugxulo diskette distro can be found as
diskette images and as zips-with-files on
http://rugxulo.googlepages.com/ - use the
version which fits better with your needs.

You only need disk one here, and it already
has way more things installed than you need.

You can also use my "one and two on a single
2.88 MB diskette" (on his homepage) as well,
after all there is no problem for memdisk to
support even such exotic diskette sizes :-).

Eric