Hi!

> sys can write the FreeDOS bootsector into a file. Today I recognized
> that my freedos.bin working on one harddisk did not work on another
> harddisk after a simple copy.
>
> I know grub4dos as a bootmanager has a generic binary bootable file or
> memtest+ also has.
>
> Can you provide such a generic bootsector file for FreeDOS?

No. The DOS boot sector must contain information about
properties of your FAT filesystem and harddisk to stay
compatible. As you said, you made it for ONE disk but
implanted it on ANOTHER disk, so you forced it to have
wrong information. As grub and memtest are just single
files, they do not care much about the filesystem where
you install them, if any filesystem is used at all. Most
of the time you boot such tools from the MBR anyway...

Eric