>>> sys can write the FreeDOS bootsector into a file. Today I recognized
>>> that my freedos.bin working on one harddisk did not work on another
>>> harddisk after a simple copy...

>> ... The DOS boot sector must contain information about
>> properties of your FAT filesystem and harddisk to stay
>> compatible. As you said, you made it for ONE disk but
>> implanted it on ANOTHER disk, so you forced it to have
>> wrong information.

Note that tools like scandisk and dosfsck etc might also
notice that you broke the filesystem by transplanting the
boot sector. Some operating systems might be able to
recover from that, others not. I assume if you install
grub4dos grldr, the boot sector which loads it - unless
it is the mbr - will also have to depend on the FAT file
system it is part of. You can probably try transplanting
grub bootSECTORS to understand this problem :-).

> But grldr (grub4dos) is just a single file
> and able to chainboot kernel.sys on any harddisk.

So is kernel.sys, and able to load any config.sys
on any harddisk... They are both not boot sectors.

> - you can start it with an initial program loader in MBR

Which also has do differ for different harddisks.

> - either grub4dos's own IPL,

Bootsector, I assume? That will also differ for
different harddisks / partitions...

> - or you can even rename grldr to ntldr and use
> XP's default IPL/MBR

The XP boot sector depends on your harddisk and
partition, too.

> - or you can use boot.ini to start it

Then you load it AFTER something which already
did depend on your harddisk and partition.

> A generic FreeDOS boot.bin would just need to
> to the same like grldr + removing the advanced
> features such as the bootmenu.

You seem to confuse grldr and kernel.sys with a
boot sector which also is part of FAT metadata ;-)

Eric