Hi,

> For demonstration purposes I created a fdos.bin. I would like to send it
> to the list but I don't think sending files to the list will work or is
> warm welcomed. It's a generic file you can use to chainboot finally
> kernel.sys. If you want it tell me and I send it private.

Thanks for not sending it to the list.

> In boot.ini you just need to add one more line:
> C:\fdos.bin="Start FreeDOS generic bootable binary"
>
> Also starting fdos.bin from any other bootmanager which can
> boot binarys should be possible, such as grub legacy.

You cannot "boot binaries". You boot binaries of a certain
format. The NT/XP boot.ini for example allows you to boot
either boot sectors or NT/XP kernel binaries, while LILO
allows you to boot either boot sectors or Linux kernels...

For example MEMDISK, which can be booted from ISOLINUX and
other boot loaders, but not from boot.ini, is a binary in
the Linux kernel file format. It is therefore not generic.

GRUB and in particular GRUB4DOS can boot binaries in quite
many file formats, but not in "generic" format. I wonder if
you can boot GRUB from GRUB - maybe you can, using the XP/NT
formatted grldr binary as "kernel" in the boot menu ;-).

> How I made it? It's a joke, I've used a hex editor and
> modified the hardcoded "default.lst" inside grldr.
> I think I simply failed to describe what I mean but this
> file shows it hopefully without misunderstandings.

You will see that you cannot boot it without the XP/NT boot
sector on your partition, or using some other kind of GRUB
installer to make the partition boot your demonstration file.
I assume you will not be able to boot the file directly from
Lilo or similar boot loaders which do not know NT/XP kernels.

Eric