Hi Braden,

> I've formatted my hard disk, installed the boot manager using the option in
> xfdisk and installed freedos. Yet, LILO continues to remain the boot manager
> on my hard disk and only shows LINUX as an available kernel.

Sure - DOS does not modify files on your Linux partition such
as the LILO configuration, but you can do this yourself from
within Linux. You will find many emails discussing how to do
this when you search in the mailing list archives. There are
also webpages / howtos about booting DOS with Lilo.

> I just received a 8-bit PIC microcontroller with a low pin development
> board. It has a USB interface. Is it possible to program the PIC using a
> language such as FreeBASIC?

Try the www.georgpotthast.de/usb/ USB stack. The stack itself
is closed source, but it comes with documented examples, even
examples written in BASIC. Basically DOSUSB does the lowlevel
stuff for you and gives you an interface for sending commands.
The license is now "free for personal use", but might improve.

> I found a lot of 5 3com Ethernet cards which are supported by DOS.
> They came in the mail not too long ago and I now want to install them.

Find a suitable packet driver and load it to get the lowlevel
support, the rest is done by a TCP/IP stack which is usually
NOT a driver but a library compiled into the apps which use
internet, for example Arachne.

> So, would someone kindly point me to some TCP/IP resources?
> I would like to start messing around with TCP/IP...

A popular library is WATTCP / WATT32 - is free and comes with
some examples, but I think you can also buy extra documentation.

> Eric: I'm still willing to test LBACache. How would you like to
> transfer the files between us? I do believe you have some web space.?

Yes. I guess I just have to repair my homepage which got quite
"damaged" during a hurried transfer from my old page to the new.

> BTW: I picked up an old AMD 1702A. A mentor at a local Junior College wrote
> up some plans for a writer. If anyone is interested in seeing those plans,
> let me know and I'll try and get them on the net for everyone to see. They
> include plans for the writer and a pulse generator.

A writer?

Eric