On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Mike Eriksen <thinstation.m...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Santiago Almenara <almen...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I have set up my FreeDOS PC and everthing is working just fine except for
> > the audio (ok I pray to God someday there will be a way to play DOS games
> > with sound under plain DOS)
> > Now I want to connect this PC to a Windows/SMB share to speed the file
> > transfer. Right now, I have to burn a CDRW in one machine and use it in
> the
> > FreeDOS PC.
> > What I think I need in my DOS PC:
> > 1. A network card (duh!)
> > 2. A driver for the card
> > 3. A packet driver for the card
> > 4. mTCP (for DHCP)
> > 5. some software to connect the DOS to SMB.
>
> IMHO, not quite so. 2 and 3 is one point, If you can't get a packet
> driver for your NIC, you are forced to fight with NIDIS 2. Have fun...
> Ad 5) Well, depends... Windows for Workgroups ( and the DOS add-on
> "DOS for Workgroups") originally worked through the NETBEUI protocol,
> not TCP. From win95 and forward a parallel TCP communication channel
> got added to "Windows Networking". So even though you can get TCP up
> and running with FD, you still need a FD front end to translate
> NETBEUI "net use * \\server\share" into TCP. Such a front end may
> exist, but I don't know one.

Update: I installed easily the NDIS2 drivers for my card, then the packet
driver wrapper. mTCP is working perfectly.
Right now, I am trying TCP's MS CLIENT 3.0 to connect to the SMB share
through TCP/IP.

The SMB share is actually a Dlink NAS, I can use NFS too, but I have to
install some modules before. I'll try a little more for SMB and then try
NFS.