I downloaded VirtualBox and got FreeDOS running on it with networking (WATTCP
clients) using a Windows host. (Sorry, no macs here)

It looks like a correct packet driver is in fact PCNTPK.COM, so check if that
is in your autoexec.bat file.

I also tested and verified that it is possible to load this driver twice on two
different interrupts and things get screwed up pretty bad.

So it would be good to somehow get a clean AUTOEXEC.BAT with no packet drivers
in it, then install the packet driver via PCNTPK INT=0x60 and test.

You can also use the command MEM /U to show you if the packet driver is loaded
and perhaps multiple drivers or multiple copies of the same driver.