= = W A R N I N G = =

Em 18-10-2011 19:20, Rugxulo escreveu:

> If you're using FreeDOS 1.0 (2006), you may want to upgrade your EMM386 to
> JEMM.
>
> http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=jemm386
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/emm386/jemm386/JEMM575B.zip
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/emm386/jemm386/JEMM575S.zip
>
> I suggest "JEMM386 X=TEST I=TEST" or similar (see its README.TXT).

JEMM is not a replacement of EMM386. I used it this year and lost many
user's databases. Jemm is too much optimized an this is hardware
dependent, it does not work alike on all machines.

I reverted to EMM386 and everything is running smoothly again. I am
responsible for just ove 100 (ONE hundred) DOS machines running 24/7
with heavy database usage.

>> The other strange thing is that first (Load FreeDOS with EMM386, no EMS
>> (most UMBs), max RAM free) or third (Load FreeDOS including HIMEM XMS-memory
>> driver) option in startup menu works normally, as I see (not investigated
>> seriously, but at least it looks so).
>
> Sounds like an EMM386 bug. I know I don't speak for everybody, but
> I'll try anyways:  nobody uses "old" EMM386, use "new" JEMM386.    ;-)

I use and it old stable and relyable.

On 2 new machines (last+this month) I had problems with X=TEST, I made
it work with
   EMM386 NOEMS X=C000-EFFF NODISABLEA20 NOVDS /VERBOSE
this was apparently due to some periferal in UMB not detected

Alain