Hi,

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 6:23 AM, Alex <alxm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> mateusz (mate...@viste-family.net) wrote:
>
>> An alternative would be to distribute not the application/program itself,
>> but just a small *.torrent file... ;)
>
> I wonder if it would really all that much of a risk if we post links
> of copyrighted programs (which are already hosted on other
> websites/FTP servers).
> For most users, links would be much easier than torrents.

I'm pretty sure that even links themselves would be considered "bad"
also, and you'd certainly get a few "cease and desist" emails, at
minimum. I wouldn't recommend it.

> I am not familiar with the laws. Would linking to a pirated software
> be considered a copyright violation or "aiding and abetting a crime"?
> Anyhow, I would be very surprised if someone tried to prosecute us for
> posting a link over a DOS-era program that is hosted somewhere else.
> Seriously, what are the chances?

The chances are fairly high as there are lots of companies and
watchgroups and laws that are against such things. Even though it's
"obsolete", they will still fight it to death.   :-(

> Eric Auer (e.a...@jpberlin.de) wrote:
>
>> Recommending the best could be done without mention
>> of places for downloads, so some sort of review-of-
>> DOS-classics could probably be done by FreeDOSers.
>
> "Recommending the best" was actually the core of my proposal. Yes,
> even without hosting the programs or linking to them, a simple list of
> the best programs for each category is very useful. Finding the
> programs is so easy these days, with Google...

Finding stuff legally would be more worthwhile and useful, IMO. If
something is truly classic, I don't know ... we'd have to probably
raise some money (Kickstarter?) to "free" (or rewrite) it.

Keep in mind that I too would love a "maintainable" online archive of
old "freeware", but it's not really a popular idea these days. While
it's easy to say, "Just use FOSS", sometimes there isn't any direct
equivalent (and most effort goes into other OSes anyways).

> Please, let us not this idea die.
>
> Who is interested in working on the wiki-based "Software Listings and
> Reviews" project? I am willing to cooperate, in the non-games area.
>
> I think the first step would be to define the broad categories, and
> their subcategories. We could get inspiration from other websites
> (simtel, tucows, etc)

I would only suggest to review stuff that is truly classic or (better)
easily available (e.g. Amazon, Gog.com, eBay).

There already exist a few people on YouTube (Blip.tv, etc.) reviewing
old games, but perhaps we could enlist people here to (via email) list
their "top ten" favorite DOS apps ("of all time", "of last five
years", etc).

What was DOS most famous for? Visicalc? Lotus 1-2-3? Turbo Pascal?
Doom? Desqview? Brief? VBDOS? PKZIP? QModem Pro? Compushow? Fast
Tracker 2? Norton Commander? GEM? 4DOS?