On 4/11/2012 1:38 PM, John Wesley Cooper wrote:
> On 4/11/2012 6:14 AM, Michael B. Brutman wrote:
>> As an end user, your fears are probably foolish.  Emulation and
>> virtualization work fine
>> for anybody playing with DOS at the application level.
> Application-level?  But doesn't DOS more or less give an application (nearly)
> unfettered access to the hardware?
> Also, despite much trouble and time, I've yet to get DOS (of any form) to run
> stably in a VM, though I do have no doubt that it can be done … advice please?

People who insist on running WordPerfect 5.1 or games will be fine. I
fall into that category. People who need to run dedicated hardware that
is timing dependent might have some difficulty - those are what I
classify as the embedded system style users.

I don't understand your inability to run in a VM. I use IBM DOS 5, IBM
DOS 6.22, and FreeDOS 1.x in both VirtualBox and VMWare on a regular
basis with no major problems. VirtualBox had a timer bug that my ping
code exposed; I haven't checked to see if it is fixed yet.

To help you get it running - what are the symptoms?

Mike