> Yes, they do.  But my fundamental question is still valid.  What is
> your use case?  Do you actually *need* to boot DOS, or is a VM or
> emulator a better solution?

In my case, I do it mostly for speed, but there are other reasons also.
Booting "real" DOS only takes a few seconds.  So, if I'm only going to be using
DOS applications (which I do the majority of the time, at least when I have a
legitimate choice), I don't waste my time waiting for a "modern" OS to load.
Many times, I can finish what I need to do in DOS and have the machine turned
off again before Windows could even dream about booting.  There are many DOS
applications that are just as good, or sometimes even better, than anything
ever created for Windows or *nix (though not all of the really good ones are
free, which is true of Windows and *nix as well).

I can say, though, that the one real problem with DOS (at least for me) is web
browsing.  Dillo and Arachne are extremely limited (rendering issues, lack of
"extensions" like JavaScript, etc.), so are only really useful for "simple" web
sites, like forums.  But, even they keep me from needing to wait for a bloated
OS to load at times.