John,

Maybe you could help us by being very specific with what worked and what
went wrong?  The only thing I could gather from your message was that it
was difficult to do, and it was slow.

One thing that is essential for good performance is to ensure that your
host machine is new enough to support the virtual processor extensions
in the CPU.  If it does not, then the virtual machine gets emulated one
instruction at a time.  This is orders of magnitude slower than if you
can use the virtual processor extensions.  My 3 year old Intel i5 Quad
Core chip is fine, but modern Atom processors do not have the
extensions.  Any virtual machine (FreeDOS or otherwise) will be painful
without them.  It sounds like your machine has the processor extensions,
but you need to ensure they are enabled in the BIOS.

Even if you do not use the power saving TSRs or programs that are power
aware, the worst that will happen is that the virtual machine running
FreeDOS will use one of the host CPU cores.  For a desktop system this
is not a major problem.  On a laptop it will shorten battery life.  You
have a wide variety of TSRs to choose from - FDAPM and DOSIDLE are my
favorites so far.

Mike