Mike,

Good to make your acquaintance.   Let me respond to your questions and
remarks below.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Michael B. Brutman
<mbbrut...@brutman.com>wrote:

> John,
>
> Maybe you could help us by being very specific with what worked and what
> went wrong?  The only thing I could gather from your message was that it
> was difficult to do, and it was slow.

I took a moment to get a specific speed measure.  It is an extended ASC-II
set display application.  Inside the VM I run an application batch file
which among other items like NET USEng a printer loads DEVLOADs NANSI.SYS.

Since the initial display is going at a slow rate I used a stopwatch to
estimate the time to display the first 40 characters.  They are the upper
border line using 40 characters ' * '  .  It took 4.7 seconds for those 40
characters to be displayed.  That is 8.5 characters per second written to
the screen.  That screen has a simple one column bar-menu that uses the
up-down arrows.  Each entry of a up or down arrow has a lag to it.

I rate that as slow.

> One thing that is essential for good performance is to ensure that your
> host machine is new enough to support the virtual processor extensions in
> the CPU.  If it does not, then the virtual machine gets emulated one
> instruction at a time.  This is orders of magnitude slower than if you can
> use the virtual processor extensions.  My 3 year old Intel i5 Quad Core
> chip is fine, but modern Atom processors do not have the extensions.  Any
> virtual machine (FreeDOS or otherwise) will be painful without them.  It
> sounds like your machine has the processor extensions, but you need to
> ensure they are enabled in the BIOS.

Both the development and target are i5 Laptops with 6-8 GB RAMM.  Those are
the most important performance spec.

The VT features are turned on.  I have turned it off without
any noticeable difference in performance.

> Even if you do not use the power saving TSRs or programs that are power
> aware, the worst that will happen is that the virtual machine running
> FreeDOS will use one of the host CPU cores.  For a desktop system this is
> not a major problem.  On a laptop it will shorten battery life.  You have a
> wide variety of TSRs to choose from - FDAPM and DOSIDLE are my favorites so
> far.

I'm using the power saving FDAPM and APMDOS..  Why are the power saving
utilities are playing a role is a question?

FreeDOS's NANSI.SYS is used as it is required to see anything on the
display.  SHARE is being loaded.

CIFS/SMB issues:

PROTOCOL.INI
SHARE
netbind
tcptsr
tinyrfc
nmtsr
emsbfr

NET CONFIG gives the default freeDOS computer and user information.  The
NET VIEW gives the host but will not give information for the host attached
printer.  I am able to NET USE LPT1: \\... to assign it.  I had altered the
workgroup to the host's local workgroup.  NT or Acitve Directory Domains
are NOT used.  Simple workgroup networking is active.

It keeps asking for an ID and password for the printer.  I provide the same
as I do signing on to the computer itself.  I have not yet seen a way to
administer passwords for the directories or printers shared by the host.
 It seems to get the ID but tells me the password does not match the
printer's password.  Microsoft has done a great job of obscuring things.

One point of confusion is the setup of mTCP vs MS-Client.  It is not clear
how independent these are of each other.  Can one have a static IP while
the other gets a dynamic, DHCP?

I have just found the doc file in a sub-directory.  I'm looking to mount
the iso as a disk drive.  I'd prefer to load that into a directory and use
it from the directory.  V-Box appears to prefers the iso be used as an iso.

Here's the iso that was a 1.1 beta with upgrades, see the change log at the
bottom of that page.
http://lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/

I made changes to this page's setup.  I chose the Host-Only Ethernet
adapter as I did not need to browse the Internet.

Cheers
John S Wolter
LinkedIn: johnswolter <http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnswolter>

- Mailto:johnswol...@wolterworks.com
- Desk: 734-408-1263
- USA, Eastern Standard Time, -5 GMT, -4 GMT DST