Hi Dennis,

> That's what I thought might be the case.   Your source files are
> basically 7 bit ASCII.

> I'd call your use case something to be handled by a Revision
> Control System.  We normally think of them as used for program
> code, but they can be used for manuscripts as well.  Take a look
> at Walter Tichy's RCS, available for FreeDOS.

I downloaded RCS and had a look at it, but as far as writing
this book is concerned my needs are very modest compared to the
capabilities of RCS, especially because I'm the sole author.

So I'll probably stay with the simpler solution -- an archiver
such as 7zip.

But I may use RCS in the future, so thanks for the hint anyway.

Marcos

Marcos Fávero Florence de Barros
Campinas, Brazil