A quick additional note:

Out of pure curiosity, I configured the CD drive in my VirtualBox
FreeDOS machine as being a SATA one (that is, attached to a SATA / AHCI
controller).
Unfortunately, both XCDROM.SYS and UDVD2.SYS failed to recognize it.

So for the time being I will put back XCDROM in the FDNPKG bootable CD,
which has the advantage to not freeze under VirtualBox...

cheers,
Mateusz