On 11/08/2013 09:52 PM, Rugxulo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM, John R. Sowden
> <jsow...@americansentry.net> wrote:
>> I have a disk with Linux and win98 dos on it.  I opt with function key
>> to select which OD.
> Please don't OD.    :-)    I assume you meant "OS".
>
>> Default is DOS.  While in DOS, I executed sys c: from a floppy that I
>> downloaded from the fd site.  Now when I boot to this OS, I get, after
>> the copyright notice and before a device? line in the config .sys, the
>> following:
>>
>> - InitDiskWARNING: using suspect partition Pri:1 FS 0b: with calculated
>> values
>>     81-194-63 instead of   75-254-63
>> C: HD1, Pri[ 1], CHS=   0-1-1, start=     0 MB, size=  603MB
>> WARNING: using suspect partition Ext:1 FS 0b: with calculat4ed values
>> 81-196-1
>> instead of   77-1-1
>> WARNING: using suspect partitionj
>>
>> Oh well ya'll got the idea.  5 warning messages, each "calculated values
>> and "instead of"
>> values that are different.  Finally it runs (haven't dried Suse yet).
> I had thought there was a way to ignore (quiet) such warnings, but I
> don't see anything obvious in "sys config":
>
> http://help.fdos.org/en/hhstndrd/base/sys.htm
>
> Now that I think about it, it's not much of a difference. It may just
> be your SuSE boot manager (stage 1.5? stage2?) hidden somewhere. If
> DOS still boots and runs, you're probably not totally hosed. (Do you
> know what boot manager is used for your install of Linux?)
>
>> Have I written over my MBR or worse?
> Well, technically, yes, I'm pretty sure that's what SYS.COM does, it
> writes a boot sector to the MBR (master boot record). The mismatched
> numbers are from the partition table, also included in the MBR,
> presumably set with FDISK or similar tool when creating the FAT
> drive(s).
>
> Since you say Win98, I'm assuming this is FAT32, which means you "may"
> have a backup boot sector somewhere. But I don't know offhand how to
> recover it (though I'm fairly certain TestDisk can do it). Though I
> don't know if that's a good idea, and I'm not sure it's worth worrying
> about, but presumably someone else here has some more (better) info.
> You could also try to take a look at the raw hard drive with a tool
> like (wDE or similar) to see what is actually present at "77-1-1" (to
> see if it really is your Linux loader).

I just tried to load Suse.  The functions key for Linux both were
ignored, staying in a loop asking for a function key press.  I think the
loader was Lilo.  This was installed several years ag
ago  (5+).  The computer has 16 MB RAM.  I mainly use it as a DOS
computer.  I was running the DOS of Windows 98, yes FAT32.  That is why
I wanted to run the Fat32 version of fd.  I use 4dos as my command
processor.
So if this was not the right way, how am I supposed to install freedos
on a multipartitioned drive?  Can I write over the fd with lilo.  My
concern is that I have a lot of important data on this DOS computer.

John