Hi,

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 4:06 AM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> BIOS and partitioning disagree about CHS geometry and
> your partition type 0b is FAT32 CHS. You could switch
> to FAT32 LBA where geometry is irrelevant. Note that
> Windows does not show this warning, it just tries.

How exactly shall he do this? I vaguely remember having to do similar
once before, but I can't remember how I did it. I had thought BTTR's
BOOTMGR, but a quick look doesn't show any (obvious) way to change
partition type. Maybe I just used GParted, dunno. Or maybe "sys config
c:\kernel.sys FORCELBA=1" would work here??

>>> Since you say Win98, I'm assuming this is FAT32, which means you "may"
>>> have a backup boot sector somewhere.
>
> Win98 FAT32 typically does, but the message suggests that
> you installed DOS on the partition. You can of course use
> a Win98 DOS 7.x boot disk and just "SYS C:" again if the
> rest of Windows is still there...

Assuming he still has the disks. Otherwise TestDisk might be a good option.

> You can install FreeDOS and Windows 98 on the same partition:

Yes, but that's complex, and that doesn't sound like what we wants to do.

>> So if this was not the right way, how am I supposed to install freedos
>> on a multipartitioned drive?  Can I write over the fd with lilo.  My
>> concern is that I have a lot of important data on this DOS computer.
>
> If the computer has important data, doing a backup now seems
> quite important:

Yes, backup backup backup.

> This thread mentions that the computer has
> 16 MB RAM and the last time I ran SuSE (6.x, maybe 5.x) on
> such hardware was 10 years ago. The harddisk must be very
> old unless you replaced it recently... Note that that SuSE
> version ran Linux 2.2 which did not even support USB yet.

Presumably it works well enough for him. Though the way things are
these days, you can't run hardly anything without tons of RAM. I think
minimum is often i686 PAE and 128 MB RAM, and most don't even bother
supporting that. Swapping like mad is not a lot of fun.