Hi,

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Louis Santillan <lpsan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, December 6, 2013, Rugxulo wrote:
>>
>> So this is not entirely conclusive. Presumably you'd have to find
>> explicit bugs or features in a particular kernel in order to truly
>> identify it (esp. if it is compressed and hacked with internal strings
>> modified). For trivia's sake, this is why most of us never knew that
>> ArrowSoft Assembler 2.00 was really MASM 4.0 in disguise.
>

> Wow! When was this discovered?

This was in private email about two years ago (which is at least 25
years after v4 was first sold, just FYI). I could send you the emails
if you're really curious. One user mentioned it, and we confirmed it
via another user who still had the original, old binaries (~600 bytes
diff). Because of all the billions of MASM derivatives in various
forms (usually v5 or v6) around online, it wasn't 100% clear whether
MS knew or whether they even owned exclusive copyright to that
specific (16-bit only) version. And I didn't know who to contact
anyways, and I hate legalese (and am no lawyer). It just didn't seem
worth making a big fuss. So we just all deleted our local copies and
didn't worry about it. (Wikipedia says latest is v12, and they don't
even mention older than v5.)

Again, ArrowSoft Assembler was widely propagated on various major
sites (e.g. Simtel) for decades! It had strings hacked, even the libc
copyright vendor was changed, and compressed, so it was far from
obvious (esp. since none of us ever had such an older version, most
everybody preferred newer 386 versions with better syntax).