Hi, sorry for slow reply,

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 1:25 AM, Anton D. Kachalov <mo...@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

> Got it :) Just read "NOEMS" in the wrong way. Anyway, I had problems with
> HIMEMX and other XMM. Will try the latest one from SVN and older FD kernels.
> I just need XMM to get RDISK works with at least 34MB RAM-disk.

Besides, HIMEMX, you could also use XMGR (which I use these days) or
presumably even FDXMS.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/xms/

> I didn't find GS386, but found WDOSX. What could you say about it?

WDOSX isn't bad but doesn't play well with CWSDPMI and has other minor
issues. Overall it works okay, but no extender is perfect (that's why
we have so many!). I think Causeway is probably a safer bet.

> I see. D3X seems to be dead after 2004 and there is WDOSX.

D3X seems to somewhat play nicer than WDOSX, but yeah, the author is
AWOL (plus it's non-commercial only, which is not free/libre, even
with sources). I'm not really sure how to contact him, I'd like him to
change the license so that it can be widely mirrored. He also did the
DJELF hack, which is mirrored by DJ, but nobody bothers to use that.
So maybe it's a lost cause anyways.   :-/

> The reason why I've choosen DOS32/A that I hasn't a big choice: DOS/4G,
> Causeway(?), PMODE/W and DOS32/A. How to proper integrate WDOSX into OW? Is
> it only a post-install "stub-it"?

Well, I'm sure you can make it where you can do it automatically by
extracting the Watcom/LE stub and putting something in your *.LNK
scripts. But yeah, it's just easier (to me) to just use "STUBIT
xyz.exe" manually later.

> BTW, I've tried to build D3XW stub with linux NASM and link it by WCL386:
>
>     wcl386 -ldos -fe=d3xw.exe d3xw.obj
>
> And get "D3X: error 0x8: unable to spawn image". Looks like it is unable to
> read it's own header. Got the same error for UPXed binary and just linked
> one (e.g curl.exe and lspci.exe).
>
> Got source here:
>     http://rugxulo.googlepages.com/d3x-090h.zip

Don't know, haven't rebuilt it lately, maybe only once. I just use the
stock build. It might be some minor bug, dunno, probably safer to use
something else.