Hi!

> I do not use EMM386 (JEMMX has been loaded with NOEMS option).

The NOEMS option just means "do not reserve 64 kB EMS 3 page
frame area so more UMB space is free". You can still use EMS
4 calls (which need no page frame). Also, importantly, JEMMEX
always uses protected mode, NOEMS option or not. And in that
mode, JEMMEX always simulates the A20 gate visible from DOS,
because the real A20 gate is only switched on once and then
left on by JEMMEX... So it still behaves differently towards
your hardware compared to HIMEM, XMGR or similar drivers :-)

>      https://github.com/ya-mouse/dos-utils

You have interesting ports and tools :-) CURL, FlashROM,
getargs, NVRAM, PCIutils, watt32, ZLIB, a tiny binary
OpenWatcom patch (what does it patch?)...

>>          I can try to load FreeDOS from USB stick instead of PXE.
>>
>>      That might also be interesting, yes.
>>
>> You mean like via RUFUS (bare bones) install?      http://rufus.akeo.ie/
>
> Something like that but running from Linux.

Maybe my sys-freedos-linux is interesting for you then. It is
basically a script to compile a FreeDOS boot sector for a FAT
style of your choice and put it on a disk or diskimage. Other
steps (copy kernel etc. to the disk) can be done without extra
tools because Linux supports FAT anyway. The script definitely
is not very automatic and you may need to provide extra params
manually but you sound experienced enough to figure out... Feel
free to ask questions about it. Note that depending on BIOS etc
you may want to partition the USB stick and/or put a bootable
MBR or boot menu as well. For example syslinux, grub, grub4dos.

http://ericauer.cosmodata.virtuaserver.com.br/soft/specials/

Regards, Eric

PS: Thanks for the cosmodata mirror :-)