Hi,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Dave Stevens <g...@uniserve.com> wrote:
> Quoting Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net>:
>
>> On 2014-07-12 12:03 (GMT-0700) Dave Stevens composed:
>>
>>> I need to make a bootable DOS disk and don't see how. I have a
>>> computer that needs a BIOS update. But! the smallest
>>> boot diskette I can make doesn't have enough room for the update
>>> program and the BIOS image.

How big exactly is the update program + BIOS image? You said it
doesn't fit. Is it some kind of .EXE sfx, already compressed, or what?
Naively, I wonder if you tried 7-Zip to compress it. Then, as long as
you have about 60 kb free, you can add 7zdecode.exe (or use UHarc or
even paq8o8z or such).

>> You don't need everything on one floppy. Put the BIOS image on a separate
>> floppy. After booting, switch floppies, then flash.
>
> I don't have a spare hard drive to use. I tried rufus and it ALMOST
> does what I want but seems to be set up to install freedos on a drive.

RUFUS is not very big nor complete, by default, unless you use the
full 1.1 .iso. How big is your USB jump drive?

> I don't want that. I'd like to make a bootable USB flash drive that
> boots to an A: prompt with lots of space.

Probably boots as "C:", is that not what you want?? Why? Just adjust
your .BATs. Or use SUBST. I'm not understanding the problem here.

> Changing diskettes to the one with the flash program and bios image
> fails for some reason when changing diskettes.

You probably need to copy /b the shell to a RAM disk, then "set
COMSPEC=R:\COMMAND.COM" or such.