On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 11:10 PM, Michael Brutman <mbbrut...@brutman.com> wrote:

> It pains me to see this much effort going into what should be a small
> utility that takes the relevant mTCP obtained network parameters and
> writes them into the WATTCP file.  There are 15 invocations of the
> mt.exe program in that script.

Among other things, the MiniTrue docs indicate you can have multiple
find/replace strings on a command line, so there isn't a need to
invoke mt that often.

For example, instead of

mt -b- -c -n wattcp.cfg #ipaddr = my_ip=
mt -b- -c -n wattcp.cfg #netmask = netmask=
mt -b- -c -n wattcp.cfg #gateway = gateway=
mt -b- -c -n wattcp.cfg #nameserver = nameserver=
mt -b- -c -n wattcp.cfg #hostname = hostname=

it looks like

mt -b- -c -n wattcp.cfg #ipaddr = my_ip= #netmask = netmask=  #gateway
= gateway=  #nameserver = nameserver=  #hostname = hostname=

would do the same thing.

> As an alternative you can contact David Dunfield and see if he would
> license his code in a way that FreeDOS could use it.  Or just simply use
> it, but don't distribute it with FreeDOS.  (A readme file or the wiki
> can point to it as a useful utility no matter what the license is, or if
> source is not even available.)

There are lots of useful DOS tools not offered under a license that
permits distribution with FreeDOS, but that doesn't mean they
shouldn't be used.  If nothing else, the wiki can have pointers to
them.

> Mike
______
Dennis