I remember using IBM's Tiny Editor, 16-bit for DOS and OS/2, in DR-DOS 7.03,
not open source.

Tiny Editor was useful on IBM OS/2 installation floppies because of tiny size,
could edit up to about 350 KB file or a little larger, more in OS/2 1.x.

Using elvis 2.2, I was able to view and edit files in DR-DOS above 1.5 MB, but
scrolling through a file of 3 MB was prohibitively slow; no such problem in
Linux.

Maybe that was because DOS is not really made for large RAM.

Still, I prefer to switch to Linux, FreeBSD or NetBSD to edit anything serious,
using vi.

Apparently DOS, including FreeDOS, works better on an older computer than on a
modern computer.

I just went to drdos.com just to check the price for DR-DOS 7.03, was $79; last
time I looked previously, it was $39.

Download link for DR-DOS 7.03 from drdos.net is no good; links no longer valid
is a problem with much old DOS software.

I still have and occasionally use Borland Quattro Pro 5 for DOS; dBASE IV 1.5
less frequently.

Tom