On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 7:51 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 9:19 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 9:34 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller6...@twc.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe that was because DOS is not really made for large RAM.
>>
>> Editors I'm aware of that ran under DOS and edited really large files
>> used spill files, keeping what would fit in memory in RAM, and the
>> rest on disk, swapping to disk as required.  On DOS machines, that was
>> *slow*.
>
> Most pmode editors (esp. 32-bit) don't need to swap at all if you have
> the available RAM. So it's not slow at all.

Now, yes, if you have protected mode.  Back then, you didn't.

> And just saying it's always "slow" is wrong too. You can buy faster
> HDs now than ever. Not to mention obvious workarounds like UDMA,
> software cache, RAM disk.

Once again, I am referring to the Old Stone Age, when you *didn't*
have that stuff, and if you had a hard drive, it might just cost as
much as the rest of the PC combined.  (At the bank I worked for in the
80's, one of the officers in my department got a PC with a <gasp>
*5MB* hard drive.  As I recall, it cost about $5K, and half of the
cost was the HD.)

>> DOS wasn't made for large RAM.  The 8088 CPU machines on which it ran
>> had an address space of 1MB, and 640K of that was usable by DOS.  If
>> you had more RAM than that installed, you needed it seen as EMS or
>> XMS, and accessed by convoluted programming.
>
> No, many compilers make it totally transparent to the end user. So you
> don't even have to write any non-portable code (usually). And this
> goes even beyond obvious "32-bit DPMI" DJGPP-based ones (GCC, GPC,
> FPC, FBC).

They do now.  They did not then.

>>> Still, I prefer to switch to Linux, FreeBSD or NetBSD to edit anything
>>> serious, using vi.
>>>
>>> Apparently DOS, including FreeDOS, works better on an older computer than
>>> on a modern computer.
>>
>> Yes.  It was designed for older machines.  It simply can't use most of
>> what newer ones offer.
>
> No. "Some" things can still be supported (e.g. SIMD). But out of
> those, only a few get done because of lack of developers and testers.
> The other things are either mutually exclusive (one or other, not
> both, can be supported) or totally incompatible with a
> single-core-only OS (e.g. EIST). The really heavyweight stuff would
> need an entire team of professionals, though, and we just don't have
> the means to attract them.

Since you *have* Linux, BSD, and even Windows, which support all that
out of the box, why should anyone *bother*?
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519