I've been working on a program which can load BMP/JPG, and optionally
apply various color adjustment/reduction and scaling. It's mainly for my
own use, but if there is interest I could release it under a specific
license. It is written in FreeBASIC (with some inline assembly), and hence
can be compiled for DOS and run with at least 486+VGA.
http://www.hyakushiki.net/misc/imgtoolb.zip

On a semi-related note, my 3D model editor (which shares some code) can
run in DOS:
http://www.hyakushiki.net/3d/mbfast.zip