Hello again Don and Eric,

> On Feb 2, 2016, at 10:50 AM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:
>

> Hi Don et al,
>
>> USB installer is a different matter.
>> First, please disable BELL on lbacache - it wreaks havoc on my wifes's
>> hearing aid.
>
> Wait, that is pretty serious! Only really important cache errors beep:
>
> - impossible CHS geometry or cylinder in CHS access
> - unsupported and rather exotic INT13 disk BIOS calls
> - disk write errors and disk read errors

Hopefully, it is just from attempted writing of temp files to the locked USB
stick.

> - XMS driver errors (for example HIMEM A20 errors)
> - disk calls recursively doing other disk calls
>
> Please let me know which errors happen on your system.
>
>> Second on my Compaq Armada 1750 USB is only bootable by PLOP boot manager
>> and thus it a C: drive- this causes write protection on the USB (as it
>> should) with installer "confused" about how to handle the "ABORT, RETRY,
>> IGNORE error. Installation failed.
>
> That might mean that PLOP itself is more or less a "bootable read
> only USB stick driver", which is quite unusual. Maybe the USB DOS
> installer tries to write to the stick! That would be unnecessary,
> if you ask me: It is much faster to write to a small ramdisk - the
> installer should only need small amounts of writing apart from the
> writes to the target disk. It should have minimal usage of pipelines
> because in DOS, those work with temp files: dir | more basically is
> "dir > tempfile" followed by "more < tempfile". Luckily, command.com
> respects the TEMP or TMP variable setting for selecting temp dirs :-)
>
> If the beeps are due to write failure, then the installer will fail
> as well, because it probably relies on being able to put temp files
> in the stick. As said, it SHOULD not rely on that anyway, IMHO...
>
> Regards, Eric

If the there is no beeping, when he boots the Floppy Install and
he only gets it when using the USB stick, It would probably be
due to the Read only USB stick.

The floppy version, does not write to the floppy and at startup
checks to see if there is a writable drive C:. If so, it will try to
configure a TEMP directory and see if it can import language
and DOSDIR settings. If it cannot find C: or C: is not writable,
it will bypass the importing of settings. It requires some temp
files to do the import. But if there is no drive C:, there are no
settings. So, the floppy will postpone setting up a TEMP directory
until later in the install process when a writeable C: is present.
TEMP files are required  later on in the install process. This
is no problem for the floppy install.

The USB version, mostly works the same, except there is what
appears tp be a drive C: (on his system, some say the USB stick
boots as D: or higher on their systems). What happens goes
something like this:

        Sees C:

        Tries to configure the TEMP dir on C: (succeeds as
        C:\FDSETUP\TEMP exists on image)

        Attempts to import settings from C: (fails)

        Keeps C: as target drive and temp dir on C:

        Serious and repeated failures beyond this point. (fails, and
        probable set /p system crash)

I have some ideas on how to resolve this issue. So, when
I get the time. I will take care of this compatibility issue.

Jerome.