Hi!

>> Wait, that is pretty serious! Only really important cache errors beep:

> Hopefully, it is just from attempted writing of temp files to the locked USB
> stick.

Well that is still serious. Even if you do something as harmless as

copy STUFF SOMEWHERE | more

you would still end up 1. not seeing the output of "copy" and
possibly even 2. block the "copy" process by stalling the pipe.

In short, please use a ramdisk for all your pipe and temp work :-)

PS: More is a good example where pipes can be avoided, with help
of my moresys driver ;-)

> If the there is no beeping, when he boots the Floppy Install and
> he only gets it when using the USB stick, It would probably be
> due to the Read only USB stick.
>
> The floppy version, does not write to the floppy and at startup
> checks to see if there is a writable drive C:. If so, it will try to
> configure a TEMP directory and see if it can import language
> and DOSDIR settings...

It should probably not do that on C: but on the user-selected target
drive, to avoid unwanted changes to C: ... In addition it should not
use C: so early anyway: Maybe it needs to be formatted first.

> If it cannot find C: or C: is not writable,
> it will bypass the importing of settings.

Importing of settings?

> the floppy will postpone setting up a TEMP directory ...

No need to postpone with a ramdisk ;-)

>       Sees C:
>
>       Tries to configure the TEMP dir on C: (succeeds as
>       C:\FDSETUP\TEMP exists on image)

Hehe bad test ;-)

>       Attempts to import settings from C: (fails)
>
>       Keeps C: as target drive and temp dir on C:
>
>       Serious and repeated failures beyond this point. (fails, and
>       probable set /p system crash)
>
> I have some ideas on how to resolve this issue. So, when
> I get the time. I will take care of this compatibility issue.

Thanks! Cheers, Eric