Hi,

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 10:02 PM, Jerome E. Shidel Jr.
<jer...@shidel.net> wrote:
>> On May 14, 2016, at 9:45 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> BASE:
>>>
>>> No issues.
>>
>> Really? Did you double-check JEMM (JLOAD.EXE + *.JLM) and CuteMouse
>> (COM2EXE.EXE)????
>
> I did not evaluate every single file in each package.

I don't know why I halfway expected you to fix it while at the same
time explicitly saying it's not your responsibility to vet thousands
of files!

In case you haven't noticed, it's a minefield, and we just don't have
the manpower to fix everything. So I personally just tend to ignore
some things because I can't fix it all either.

Having said that, and despite the honest pessimism that things will
never be "100% perfect", I assume that your .ZIPs of CuteMouse
(ctmouse.zip) and Jemm386 (jemm.zip) come from here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.1/repos/base/

If that's the case, then I will (weakly) "try" to fix them in the next
few days, and then re-upload them
so that FD 1.2 will have a slightly less burdensome status. (Which
means trying to rebuild all their various (sub)binaries, which
shouldn't be "too" hard.)

Honestly, this kind of task belongs to the maintainers of those
aforementioned packages, but
since most so-called maintainers are too busy (or long since
disappeared), it falls to such
pathetic souls such as myself. (Sigh.) :-(

> Without going into details, my free time gets more and more limited as we
> move into
> summer. So, I am not going to evaluate or bring into compliance individual
> files or
> packages. I can either drop non-compliant packages. Or, I can replace them
> with
> compliant versions. I’m not trying to be a jerk. I just don’t have the spare
> time to
> devote to that level of detail on those kind of issues.

Of course. That's totally fine. You have bigger priorities and other
hobbies. I don't demand anything special.

I just hate to drop some things that are, in fact, useful and "mostly"
free just because of some errant file or two. Jemm386 I never use much
anymore (although it's still very useful, in select cases; but JLOAD
never caught on, quite honestly). CuteMouse might be a much bigger
loss (although I personally try to avoid the mouse, usually, which
isn't easy in some programs).

Neither should have to be dropped, so I'm 99% sure that I can remove
the closed-source parts successfully. I know this isn't a "real"
problem, thus we keep procrastinating, but we do overall want to keep
FreeDOS "free" (or as close as possible!).