Hello,

> >Just as a general statement regarding “Dropped” packages. It doesn’t >mean
> >they cannot be used or installed later. It also doesn’t mean they cannot be
> provided on ibiblio.
>
> I am a bit confused by this, it seems to be an "end-around" solution; has
> this been happening all along?

I don’t feel like it is. I am talking about them having been dropped or removed
them from the Official  FreeDOS 1.2 release. Most of the dropped packages never
even shipped with FreeDOS. They could be added later by the user. However, for
those packages that met Jim’s requirements and for user convenience many of
these uninstalled packages can be provided as EXTRAS on the big USB stick and
CD-ROM versions. This would let the user have many desired add-on programs
available without any extra fuss. But, there are requirements for all packages
that are to be included on the Official install mediums.

Also, think of it this way. MS-DOS never shipped with SoundBlaster or Adlib
drivers. Besides the extra floppies that would have required. There would have
licensing concerns. However, there was no problem with a user installing those
drivers later.

> >PS: Why so many IBIBLIO files, how about Mateusz' updater repository?

They are from there
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.1/repos/

> Perhaps this is the ideal solution, trim FreeDOS to a genuine FREE/Open
> Source distro, and let end-users include the files they wish from alternate
> sites?

This is one of reasons for all of the specific requirements packages must meet
for their inclusion.

Jerome