Hi,
My edition of pkunzip is 2.50 as well, circle 1999.
While I have three editions of wp on my computer in this case I used
wp6.0
I do agree about 8.3, I did not create the  source archive, so I can
confirm that 8.3 is not to my knowledge  used in many cases.
I rune only dos on my machine ms dos 7.1, so I  start word perfect from the
c prompt, its in the path line of my auto exec.bat  file.
I wonder if, for example there are spaces in the file names, that would
prevent pkunzip from placing the files in the correct directory?
it is a large archive almost half a gig compressed.