Hi Abe,

> upon bootup and selecting option 1, I get the following message:
>
> JemmEx v5.75 [05/21/11]
> System memory found at c900-dfff, region might be in use
> JemmEx loaded
> Kernel: allocated 46 Diskbuffers = 24472 Bytes in HMA
>
> after which nothing ever happens. It hangs permanently.

This means that JEMMEX (EMM386) tried to allocate UMB but
predicted troubles. Soon after that, DOS does indeed hang.
I suggest to select a boot option without JEMMEX instead.

Alternatively, you could change the JEMMEX options in your
config.sys to more cautious settings regarding UMB areas.
Then you get at least some UMB and thus more free DOS RAM.

> I don't believe this is related to the UIDE driver...

It is possible that the same memory area where JEMMEX tries
to allocate UMB is also in use for disk, network or UMB I/O
buffers of your virtual hardware... So it is possible that a
crash is more likely with UIDE (more modern disk I/O) but a
better solution compared to avoiding UIDE would be to select
more cautious JEMMEX options regarding that memory region.

> Boot options 2,3,4 all work without issue.

What are the names of boot options 1, 2, 3 and 4 respectively?

Regards, Eric