Hi,

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> I think that even 597 kB of low DOS memory is plenty for old DOS programs.

"597 kb should be enough for anyone." -- Eric Auer, 2016    :-)

In Abe's recent screenshot, he shows that he's now getting (thanks to
Ulrich) "628 kb" free. This is actually "643,488" bytes! That's
plenty! (It's easy to forget that "kb" is not equal to 1000.)

Seriously, I can't speak for all apps, but it's rare to need (much
more, if any) greater than 500 kb. Needing 600 kb is almost unheard of
(right??). At least, I only vaguely remember one demo (submerge??)
that needed over 600,000 bytes free. And even that was probably badly
designed. Some games require more than 500 kb, but that too is of
questionable design. Most well-behaved apps (yeah, I know that's not
saying much) don't really need that much.

My own VBox setup "only" gets 596 kb (610,544) free. That's HimemX
only (and FreeCOM XMS_Swap, of course; and yes, packet driver can vary
a lot in size, too). I can't remember exactly, but my native FreeDOS
install is also similar, and I see no huge problems. Though it's
impossible to test everything, of course.

Can anyone provide real-world usage examples of needing 600,000 bytes
or more free?? (Besides obvious things like user data or combining
several TSRs.) Do any popular apps from yesteryear need that much?