Hi,

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Dimitris Zilaskos <dimitr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have LBA configured in the BIOS for the hard drives, mostly because it
> keeps BIOS boot and Windows 98 working. I was unable so far to find a
> working combination with different non LBA modes. I will retry sys c: on a
> new FAT32 installation.

Try different SYSs from different kernels (e.g. 2039, 2041). You
already tried 2042 and 2036, yes? Who knows, it's a long shot, but it
could be a rare bug / regression.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freedos/files/Kernel/

Heck, since you say you have Debian (but is that separate machine?),
you could try Eric's Sys-FreeDOS-Linux (Perl + NASM) there.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/sys/sys-freedos-linux/