> Just out of curiosity, if I write something for a DOS4GW 32bit
> environment, would I choose the same way for having a timer or are there
> better ways for having a timer callback function?

the idea will be the same, the routines to use are different.

> For a later experiment project I want to capture parallel port data on a
> Pentium 3 which is very fast compared to a parallel port's speed.

> I thought about having an ISR capturing the data being called at capture
> rate, which should be something around 100kHz to 150kHz
unlikely. expect *each* inp()/outp() operation to use O(500ns)

there is also a notable delay between applying an input 0/1 voltage,
and this voltage available as inp()

usually people read until 2 readings are identical.

try polling first to get an idea what input rate will be possible.

> to get a hard
> real time measurement.
don't mix 'fast measurement' with 'real time, deterministic
measurement'. DOS is anything but hard real time.

> Are there any interrupt priorities interfering with this concept?
in a DOS environment, the current interrupt will be served until
finished. so any incoming interrupt (USB, keyboard, mouse) will defer
your input routine until done.

> There should be plenty of time on this machine to process data after
> capturing from parallel port.
yes. with real time linux.

Tom