Hi again,

so far I do not know which problem you have with the
Agilent device and how you plan to resolve that. Doing
network analysis with a Windows 2000 PC with special
added signal processing and other hardware is something
which you can NOT easily switch over to a different
operating system. However you CAN run either DOS or
Linux on the simple PC inside your Agilent when you
connect PC style keyboard, mouse and VGA screens to
it. You may have to change BIOS settings for that,
but your handbook contains the BIOS password anyway.

So in short: You can run other operating systems on
the device, even from external harddisks, but you
must avoid any modifications to the network analysis
software on the Windows 2000 installation, as well
as to any of the involved Agilent Windows drivers.

In that context, please explain what you plan to do
with DOS. If the device came with a PC DOS floppy
with Norton Ghost, then there also must be a way to
use that to backup and restore disk images.

Of course you can also use FreeDOS, Linux or simply
the installed Windows 2000 to run any suitable disk
image tool manually. In the DOS case, you may need
USB drivers, but you may be able to avoid that using
a bootable FreeDOS USB disk: Often, the BIOS supports
USB disks as long as you boot from them. Then you do
not need USB drivers for DOS.

The computer inside your Agilent is old and 256 MB RAM
may be too little for modern Windows or Linux, but the
graphics will work with DOS and Linux as long as you
use the VGA connector at the back. The display built
into your Agilent itself needs special drivers and you
can assume that it ONLY works with Windows unless you
install the exact right drivers before: To work on the
driver configuration, you will still need a VGA screen.

As said, please be more specific about what you want to
do and which problems you have encountered until now.

So far, I only know that you want to do something with
DOS to copy files (why files and why not disk images?
only the latter can boot) between (which direction and
why?) your Agilent and some external disk. The Agilent
supports floppy drive and USB and LAN, so you have quite
many possible channels to copy measurement data to any
external storage for further processing in your company.

I know that Win 2000 is no longer supported, but as long
as you do not connect your Agilent to the internet, nor
open files from the outside on it, there is little attack
surface for viruses to reach your outdated Windows 2000.

Regards, Eric

PS: I am not sure if the PANEL EXE driver supports only
the touchscreen as mouse or if it also supports output
of the DOS screen contents on the touch screen graphics,
you have not been very specific about that detail yet.