Hi,

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 11:29 AM Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> In the DOS case, you may need USB drivers,
> but you may be able to avoid that using a bootable FreeDOS USB disk:
> Often, the BIOS supports USB disks as long as you boot from them.
> Then you do not need USB drivers for DOS.

His machine is probably too old for that. Maybe I'm wrong, but I
assumed he was trying PLoP Boot Manager, just to get it to boot from
USB, but failed. (It's then read-only anyways.) That's what I did on
my old P4 (dated from 2002), which wouldn't natively boot from USB.

Otherwise, yes, use RUFUS to make a simple, bootable DOS-based USB
drive (relying on BIOS to treat it as a normal hard drive):

* https://rufus.ie/

> The computer inside your Agilent is old and 256 MB RAM
> may be too little for modern Windows or Linux,

TinyCore? NanoLinux? Puppy? antiX? (I blindly assume one of them would
work okay.)

* http://tinycorelinux.net/
* https://sourceforge.net/p/nanolinux/wiki/Home/
* http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage