Rugxulo wrote:
Hi!

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 2:57 PM Ben Collver <bencoll...@riseup.net> wrote:
I recently built Tcl for DOS using DJGPP.  This is based on the work of
Georg Potthast and Viktor Wagner.  These builds include Ck and Sqlite.
Below are download links for Tcl 8.5.19 and Tcl 8.6.9.

https://archive.org/download/tcl-8.5.19-for-dos
https://archive.org/download/tcl-8.6.9-for-dos

It seems you're aware of existing builds mirrored to iBiblio. (It was
most likely me who mirrored those, for completeness, but honestly I've
never used Tcl and don't know of many apps using it. Still, it sounds
promising.)

Have you tested your builds? Just because something compiles doesn't
mean it works, esp. if the authors only tested in *nix. Especially old
DJGPP ports, which used to work, usually rot and break. It's a bit
sad, really. I'm not trying to be too cynical or pessimistic, but
broken builds are annoying.

But if you've tried them and they work for you, great! Otherwise ....

Hi Rugxulo,

The Tcl authors thoroughly test their code on *nix. I only lightly tested my builds by running an app of mine that uses snit and SQLite.

I found some bit rot along the way. For example, the DJGPP SQLite code only seems able to open databases in the current directory. I worked around this by using [cd] prior to opening the database. The Ck toolkit seems painfully slow in DOSBox. It is much faster in FreeDOS on VirtualBox.

Some day i would like to benchmark the DOS port of SQLite versus databases such as Foxpro and Paradox. I understand these are not fair comparisons because those old DOS databases supported the 8086. It is a technical marvel that they worked as well as they did. I digress..

Best regards,
-Ben