On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 11:38 PM Ben Collver <bencoll...@riseup.net> wrote:
> Ralf Quint wrote:
> > On 9/29/2019 7:10 PM, dmccunney wrote:
> >> What would you be benchmarking?
>
> I would benchmark a set of tasks performed on an identical data set.
> For example, importing the data, doing a bunch of inserts, deletes,
> random selects, etc.

I think what you would essentially be benchmarking would be I/O performance.

> >> SQLite is a full SQL compliant relational DBMS implemented as a single
> >> library.  dBASE and FoxPro were, IIRC "hierarchical" DBMS products.
> >> Depending on what you are benchmarking this sounds like an apples and
> >> oranges comparison.
> >
> > Yes comparing SQlite to dBASE or FoxPro is comparing apples and oranges,
> > more like apples and potatoes actually...
>
> I thought FoxPro and Paradox were relational databases that could run in
> protected mode.  I recall doing joins in Paradox using QBE.

IIRC. Paradox met that description.  FoxPro organized data as sets of
files to improve performance on small databases.  Up to v2.5, FoxPro
was a flat file database.  In v2.6, Visual FoxPro added the ability to
treat the collection of files as a relational database.  Visual FoxPro
2.6 was the last version.  MS had shifted focus to Access.  See
https://www.alvechurchdata.co.uk/hints-and-tips/fox101data.html

IIRC, while FoxPro derived from FoxBASE by Fox Software, which in turn
derived from Ashton Tate's dBASE III, I don't believe FoxPro or
Paradox used the dBASE programming language and were not Xbase
products, though I believe they could import existing dBASE database
files.

(I have Paradox and the manuals, but they are not currently accessible
and I can't Look Stuff Up.)

And yes, Protected mode was pretty much a requirement.  I note SQLite
for DOS was built using DJGPP, which means you need something like a
386 with a memory extender loaded to run it in DOS.  I doubt this will
run on an 8088/8086 in Real Mode.

> -Ben
______
Dennis