On 17/09/2019 01:00, Jon Brase wrote:
My question isn't actually what packages are in base. My question is, given the
presence of an existing MS-DOS install, what is the minimal set of packages
that would need to be unpacked onto the MS-DOS partition *in order to get the
package manager running*.

FDNPKG is a stand-alone application. It can run on any DOS, not only FreeDOS.

Do I just need to install the package manager itself, or does it have other
dependencie? For instance, does it use batch scripts that require FreeCOM? Does
it, in general, require the presence of any FreeDOS components other than
itself?

No dependencies. Just download FDNPKG, configure a set of repositories (either from FreeDOS, Svarog386, or anything compatible), and that's it.

FDNPKG manual can be seen here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/fdnpkg/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/fdnpkg.txt?format=raw

And the entire application is available here:
http://fdnpkg.sourceforge.net

Mateusz