On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 09:48:04 +0200
Mateusz Viste <mate...@viste.fr> wrote:

> On 17/09/2019 01:00, Jon Brase wrote:
> > My question isn't actually what packages are in base. My question is, given
> > the presence of an existing MS-DOS install, what is the minimal set of
> > packages that would need to be unpacked onto the MS-DOS partition *in order
> > to get the package manager running*.
>
> FDNPKG is a stand-alone application. It can run on any DOS, not only
> FreeDOS.
>
> > Do I just need to install the package manager itself, or does it have other
> > dependencie? For instance, does it use batch scripts that require FreeCOM?
> > Does it, in general, require the presence of any FreeDOS components other
> > than itself?
>
> No dependencies. Just download FDNPKG, configure a set of repositories
> (either from FreeDOS, Svarog386, or anything compatible), and that's it.

Good to know. Have it running under MS-DOS using the CD as a repository, haven't
tried setting up networking yet.

Under FreeDOS itself, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my CD drive set up.
Specifically, having just installed components through FDNPKG, I'm having to
write up my own FDCONFIG.SYS / FDAUTO.BAT, and I'm having trouble figuring out
which components are current and what their usage is from the documentation.
There's a "XCDROM32" (or something like that, I'm not currently at that
computer) in the BIN directory, but "help xcdrom32" takes me to a help page for
xcdrom, which says its deprecated and UIDE.SYS should be used instead. There's
a help page for UIDE.SYS, but I can't actually find UIDE.SYS itself anywhere.

Can anyone provide an example FDCONFIG / FDAUTO set that is current for FreeDOS
1.2 and contains sane defaults for a machine from circa 1995?