Ralf Quint composed on 2019-12-15 12:58 (UTC-0800):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Thanks. While I was waiting I did a base install and a sans sources install,
>> two
>> different disks on the same i915 Dell. Both produced bootable results, but
>> the
>> first one, to the existing FAT 16 250 MB destroyed all 33 logical partitions
>> on
>> the drive in the process. Luckily I had documented all of them and
>> successfully
>> created them.

> 33 logical partitions? How and why? Any DOS would not be able to handle
> more than 24 (C:  though  Z:, internally, there might the possibility to
> handle a couple more IIRC, but it still would leave you short of 33).

> In any way, this would be a rather unusual use case and it would be more
> helpful if you could provide more detailed info, both to understand your
> "setup" and what possibly could have been interpreted by the FreeDOS
> tools (in a wrong way)...

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Dfsee/ralfq20191215.txt are log excerpts from before
(the
first, to the 500G ST3500630NS) 1.2 installation, after (the first) 1.2
installation, and after partition reconstruction, intended to show only the
what,
not the why.

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Dfsee/dfsL-142230-070.txt is the entire log from the 18
minute partition reconstruction process.

The 60G Hitachi in the logs is the original HD1 to which I made the 2nd 1.2
installation, as HD0 (and only HD), and which fails to boot the laptop.

>> When I moved the 60G to its newe laptop home, attempting to boot produces no
>> prompt, only a dot in the upper corner. I was able to boot the installation
>> CD,
>> and with that and the bios update file on C: start it, but it refused to run,
>> cla

> Same here. And at least the last message would indicate to me that there
> is a more general problem with the laptop, possible due to the process
> of removing and reinstalling the hard drive in that laptop...

That laptop has no problem booting an SSD originally created as a product of
backing up a several years newer desktop PC. The laptop does have trouble with
hardware changes (network, disk & RAM anyway), which is precisely the reason for
wanting to upgrade its 2008 BIOS to a 2013 version. I ordered a battery, not
otherwise needed, for $12 this AM.

> In general, these kind of hardware related issue are extremely hard
> follow and understand on a mailing list (or any online method)...

Maybe not so hard here, since the partitioning before and after FD12
installation
is logged.

In hindsight, I suspect I may have created the problem by neglecting to move the
boot flag from sda3 (type 0x83 Linux Grub) to sda2 (type 0x0b installation
target
"C:") before beginning the 1.2 installer.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/