Gruess Gott,

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 10:12 AM Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> It seems that FreeDOS 1.2 currently includes UIDE.

"Currently"?? The full 1.2 release was from late 2016 / early 2017. It
hasn't changed.

As far as I'm concerned, UIDE [sic] died in 2015.

> It would probably be better to use UHDD and UDVD2 instead:

That makes no sense (to me). UHDD.SYS (from 2015) indeed had a
surprise update in early 2019 (dunno what changed, ask Jim), but
UDVD2.SYS is still dated 2015.

* https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/cdrom/uide/

"It would probably be better" ... if XIDE/XHDD/XDVD2 (or whatever he
calls it nowadays) wasn't unjustly "closed source" for five years!
That would've saved a lot of end users tons of frustration.

Then again, most of them "just use Linux", it works! (I'm on a
Chromebook now. Isn't "Free Software" great?? GPL FTW!)

> Those

Which exactly? Where are they? What versions?

> have better performance

Than who? Which versions exactly?

> and better 80386 style XMS compatibility

XMSv3? (You know that DR-DOS 7.03's XMS faked its version number and
really only supported XMSv2, i.e. 64 MB limit.)

> on old computers

Which? Actually 386 or 486 cpus? Pre-LBA BIOSes?

> , as well as improved drive detection, DMA choices, support for disks above
> 128 GB size and more good news :-)

How is that even possible? Too many versions, too many (alleged) bug
fixes! Ridiculous!

> Thanks for considering!

These decisions (for FD 1.3) rely mostly on Jerome and Jim.

But discussing these drivers is always a huge waste of time. I'm tired
of hearing about it. It's unproductive, to put it politely.