Hi Mercury, some short answers :-)

I think dates as version numbers are fine when there is
no explicit version numbering. I would use the date of
the most recent file, leave the decision to you whether
that means the version is this week since YOU yourself
have made per-driver excerpts of the readmes. Otherwise,
use the newest timestamp of the original files, even in
situations where only documentation updates took place.

Regarding sources, please always use source\NAME\FILE.EXT
naming. It is no problem to have separate copies of CC in
source\uide\cc.asm and source\uhdd\cc.asm when installed.

There is an official howto for the directory tree etc. in
ZIP files for install friendly packages, somewhere online.

Having two himemx variants to compare sounds like Japheth
hopes to get MANY TESTERS so a new update can consolidate
into one version again? Or maybe a command line option to
pick one of the two styles now represented by two exes?

I suggest that you give Jerome a signal when you think the
packages on your website have been updated to fix all items
mentioned by him and fully fdinst / fdnpkg compatible :-)

Thank you for your help! Regards, Eric