Actually, I think it's a problem on the Raspberry Pi 4. I've heard from a
few folks since the RPi4 came out that my how-to about running FreeDOS on
the Raspberry Pi (via QEMU)
<https://opensource.com/article/18/3/can-you-run-dos-raspberry-pi> results
in a very slow FreeDOS. But I've only heard from people about the Raspberry
Pi 4. The RPi3 seems to work okay. I have a Raspberry Pi 3, and it works
fine. I've run my RPi3 with both Raspbian and Fedora ARM with the same
results, so I don't think it's a distro issue, either.

The Raspberry Pi (as lease version 3) is fast enough to emulate a '486 or
Pentium CPU well enough to run DOOM and AsEasyAs and other DOS games and
applications without lag.