On 3/18/20 12:21 PM, Ralf Quint wrote:
> On 3/18/2020 10:02 AM, Swap Jim via Freedos-user wrote:
>>
>> And in the meantime I'll try Fedora ARM, just in case it matters on
>> the RPi4.
> FAIK, Rasbian is the best supported distro on the RPi4B+ (hardware
> wise). And beside that Raspberry.org itself otherwise only promotes
> Ubuntu. Fedora/Pidora was dropped at least a couple of years ago, so I
> am not sure that you will be able to yield any better results using an
> ARM based Fedora.
>
> I still think that the problem is that QEMU doesn't take into account
> the new capabilities of the 4B+ over the 3B+, not only CPU wise, but
> also video (4K dual screen vs 1080p single), USB (3.0 vs 2.0) and
> networking (true Gigabit Ethernet vs Gigiabit over USB 2.0, limited to
> 300MBit/sec), and defaults (at least for the video part, maybe) to a
> lower performing generic "fallback" mode.
>
> Ralf

It's worth noting that Raspbian is still only distributed in 32-bit
form, failing to take full advantage of the 64-bit ARM processor on the
Pi 4. If some other distribution is built for arm64, that may well
perform better than Raspbian even though it is the best "supported" OS.

The 32-bit distribution was a conscious decision by the Raspberry Pi
Foundation to maintain binary compatibility with older Pi boards so that
newcomers would not be confused about which download to choose.

I don't know how much of an effect running in 32-bit mode has on the
performance of the newer CPU, but I thought it was worth mentioning as a
possible reason why an unofficial distribution might run better on a Pi 4.

Regards,

David E. McMackins II
www.mcmackins.org www.delwink.com