Hi RJ,

the short story is that VMWare creates a fully virtual
computer. You can not install VMWare on Apple to use a
DOS program to update the BIOS of your REAL VGA card.

You would have to run the BIOS update tool on real
hardware. Maybe you can find an Apple tool for VGA
BIOS updates? Or you could plug the card in a PC
where you can boot DOS from USB stick or CD-ROM
on the real hardware to run your update tool?

In theory, you can configure the commercial versions
of VMWare to make the actual graphics card visible
from the virtual computer, but then you have to stop
using the graphics card on the host OS and I do not
think you can run VMWare on your Mac while Mac OS is
not allowed to use your graphics card. Maybe if you
had TWO graphics cards and could tell Mac OS to not
use the one which you want to update...

I think Mac OS has only newer-than-BIOS firmware, but
it might be possible to load a CSM firmware extension
to have PC BIOS compatibility and boot DOS on the Mac.
But I have no idea whether that can actually be done?

Regards, Eric